How to Find the Right Physical Therapist
Once you’ve made the decision to seek physical therapy treatment for pain relief or injury rehabilitation, how do you find the right physical therapist? This is an important decision; after all, you’ll be putting your recovery in the physical therapist’s hands. You’ll want to partner with a physical therapist who is licensed, qualified, knowledgeable, and capable of treating your specific condition. Knowing what to look for is key to choosing the best physical therapist for your needs.
What Are the Qualifications of a Good Physical Therapist?
Qualified physical therapists are licensed by the state in which they practice; they are also required to pass a national licensure examination. They undergo extensive education and are required to hold a graduate degree in physical therapy. You’ll find the best physical therapists strive to keep their skills sharp and up-to-date through continuing education and training.
Good physical therapists are knowledgeable in many areas, including anatomy, physiology, body mechanics, and the cardiopulmonary system, to name a few. They are highly trained in the assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of musculoskeletal problems. In determining the right physical therapist for you, you’ll also want to look for someone who is a good listener, who takes an interest in you as a person, and who is committed to helping you overcome your pain or limitation. This enables your therapist to create a customized physical therapy treatment plan that addresses your unique needs, so you can attain optimal physical condition and resume your regular activities as quickly as possible.
Points to Consider When Seeking Physical Therapy Treatment
Every patient will consider different factors when seeking a physical therapist. Yours might include:
- Convenient Location and Hours – Depending on your injury or condition, your physical therapy plan may require multiple visits each week, over several weeks or months. Finding a physical therapy center close to your home or work may be a priority for you. Parking might also be a consideration. If you don’t have much flexibility in your work schedule, you might seek a clinic that can accommodate appointments before or after your normal work hours.
- Quality of Care – It’s possible that the most highly regarded physical therapy centers may be located a distance from your house or office. Are you able and willing to travel farther or rearrange your schedule to obtain the highest-quality care?
- Recommendations – If any of your friends or family have undergone physical therapy treatment, ask them about their experience and if they would return to the same physical therapist. Your physician may also be able to recommend a good therapist based on other patients’ outcomes with a particular center.
- Current Licensing – Most reputable physical therapy centers will allow only currently licensed physical therapists to treat patients. Still, it’s a good idea to verify a physical therapist’s credentials.
- Up-to-Date Equipment – You may want to have a look at a physical therapy center’s equipment before committing to treatment there. Those that are confident in the quality of their equipment will generally be happy to provide a tour of the facility. If the equipment appears outdated or in poor condition, you may want to look elsewhere.
- Comfort Level – It’s important that you feel comfortable with the clinic’s staff and your physical therapist. You may wish to contact the physical therapy office prior to your first appointment and speak with a physical therapist. You can discuss whether he or she has worked with other patients with your condition, and what outcomes were achieved. Establishing a good rapport is important, as you and your therapist will be working together as partners in your treatment.
A Qualified Physical Therapist Can Help You Heal and Find Relief From Pain
If you are feeling pain or discomfort anywhere in your body, don’t ignore it. When the underlying cause is left untreated, the problem is likely to worsen over time. In addition, you may end up adjusting your body and movements to accommodate the pain, which often causes additional muscle or joint strain. Physical therapy can bring relief from the pain associated with a wide variety of conditions.
Your first visit to a physical therapy center will include a thorough evaluation, and your physical therapist will use special techniques to assess the cause of your symptoms. Your therapist will then develop a customized physical therapy treatment plan, based on your condition, ability, strength, and range of motion.
Many patients find physical therapy to be the most effective treatment for joint and lower back pain, sports injuries, osteoarthritis, muscle strains and sprains, and repetitive motion ailments. It can also help with rehabilitation from auto or work accidents, knee and hip replacement surgery, anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) or meniscus tears, and heart surgery. An added benefit of physical therapy is a stronger, more flexible and pain-free body – without the use of drugs or invasive procedures.
Live in Missouri? The Sports and Physical Therapy Center May Be the Right Choice for You
If you are looking for a physical therapy center in Missouri, The Sports and Physical Therapy Center is widely regarded as a leading practice in the St. Louis area. Owner Sean Quinn and his team of physical therapists are ready to help, whether you seek relief from pain, improved mobility, or rehabilitation from an injury.
You’re likely to find the right physical therapist for you among the talented members of The Sports and Physical Therapy Center staff. All of the center’s physical therapists are highly qualified and focused on patient care. They will work together as a team to ensure you receive the best possible care from a therapist who specializes in your condition. Every therapist within the clinic holds a graduate degree in physical therapy, as well as a license in good standing with the state of Missouri. In addition, the entire team strives to continually learn new treatment methods in order to achieve the best possible outcome for each patient. The therapists at the The Sports and Physical Therapy Center take pride in the level of care and hands-on treatment they provide. As your partner in good health, your physical therapist will instruct you in injury prevention and strengthening your body, so you can achieve an optimal outcome.
Before starting physical therapy treatment, you’ll first need to request a prescription for physical therapy from your physician. Remember, you’re in control of your health, and you have the right to request the physical therapist of your choice. You will likely find your doctor enthusiastically recommends the skilled team at The Sports and Physical Therapy Center.
A Qualified Physical Therapist Can Improve Your Quality of Life
You don’t have to live with pain. Instead, research your options for physical therapy services in St. Louis County, and request a prescription for physical therapy from your doctor. Local physicians often refer patients to The Sports and Physical Therapy Center in Eureka, where Sean Quinn and his team of qualified and caring physical therapists have consistently achieved successful outcomes for their patients. Call The Sports and Physical Therapy Center at 636-938-4065 for more information on their physical therapy services in Eureka, or to schedule an evaluation. Visit http://www.ptstl.com for more details.